MINERVA FESTIVAL 2020: COMPOSITION COMPETITION
We are so excited to announce that our Composition Competition is BACK! Now in its second year, we are inviting female and non-binary composers to submit a new work for SATB choir (a cappella). This is a fantastic opportunity to have your music workshopped by some of Cambridge’s finest choral scholars and judged by a panel of leading female composers, including Judith Weir and Deborah Pritchard.
The winning composition will be premiered in our International Women’s Day Concert on 8th March 2020. The winning composer will also receive a cash prize of £100.
RULES AND CONDITIONS
1. The competition is open to female and non-binary identifying composers who are members of the University of Cambridge, Anglia Ruskin University (or who have graduated from either in the last 2 years) or Cambridge University Music Society.
2. Entries must not have already been professionally commissioned or performed.
3. Entries must be scored for SATB choir (divisi of up to eight parts permitted).
4. The composition must not exceed 6 minutes in duration.
5. Any texts used for entries must be out of copyright. We encourage composers to set texts by female or non-binary writers, but this is not compulsory.
6. Scores must NOT contain the composer’s name – only the title of the piece.
7. Entries must be sent to by noon on 17th January 2020. Scores and recordings must be submitted as PDFs and MP3 files. We accept live recordings/audio files exported from notation software (e.g. Sibelius).
8. Entries should be accompanied by a separate cover letter including your: a) Name b) Year of study/graduation c) University you attend(ed)
9. Four composers will be shortlisted to have their compositions workshopped on 15th February. Shortlisted composers will be notified by 31st January.
10. The winning composer will be announced at the end of the workshop, following a panel discussion.
11. In all cases, the decision of the adjudication panel is final. No further correspondence will be considered.
We are really looking forward to receiving your entries, and if you have any questions about the competition feel free to drop us as email at email@example.com!